Monday, August 26, 2019

FAMILIES OF THE SETTLEMENT



This photo was found in the belongings of my grandmother, Maria Antonia Encarnacao (Santos) of Pico Agudo, Sao Nicolau, CVI, and must be of people who she knew well and loved.  However, there is no notation as to who they are.  The photo was taken by a well known photographer & information about him can be found on the net and would be helpful in identifying the age of the photo.  I am guessing that the woman in the chair would have been b. around 1870 or before & that the girls are contemporaries of my grandmother. 

My great grandmother - Rosa Maria da Cruz # 2& her siblings & half siblings (Duarte da Conceicao, Cruz & Fortes da Cruz) left Boa Vista there & they came over to Sao Nicolau & settled in Covoada (& then one, Rosa Maria da Cruz # 1, my godfather's (Manoel Roberto de Brito) grandmother went to Pico Agudo when she married a de Brito.  These family members were known by the surnames --  da Cruz, da Conceicao, Dias, Duarte, & Encarnacao.  The other side of my family Varella / Almeida also lived in Covoada. Rosa Maria da Cruz # 2, my second ggrandmother would end up in Pico Agudo as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment