Friday, August 23, 2019

Cabral

About 20 years ago, I was gifted these two prints by the Cape Verdean artist Ken Cabral.  I passed by his house in 9/2019 but didn't knock & should have in order to see if I needed permission to post these prints -which I own- with my Cabral entries.  I will take them down if he objects.  At any rate his brother is an amazing storyteller & he is a great artist & I am not sure what island they are from though I read about it at one time (& don't think that it is Sao Nicolau). 



I must say that CABRAL does not come up that often in my Sao Nicolau research.

da Lapa Baptisms 1875 - 1895
21/34 - On 4/18/1875, Domingas was baptized, d/o Cabral/?Lima
131/43 - On 5/12/1878, Miguel was baptized, s/o Cabral/Anna
180/8 - On 2/201881, Maria was baptized, d/o Cabral/Anna
241/43 - On 5/21, Hermogenes was baptized, child of Cabral / Rodrigues
242/45 - On 5/28, Joao was baptized, s/o Cabral / Rodrigues

************

Alfredo Joaquim Cabral - California Marriges - Alameda County, on 9/17/1921 he married Eulalia Araujo Lima
Anacleto Joseph Cabral  WW1 Draft Registration Card - 6/5/1917
Amelia Cabral - (See Joseph Cabral, her husband), m/o Emily
Anna Lopes Cabral - (1)  See ALC Ramos, w/o Pedro Lopes Ramos, m/o Francisco Pedro Ramos
                                  (2)  See ALC Soares, w/o Joaquim Antonio Soares, m/o Justo Joaquim Soares & Josepha Anna Cabral 

Anna Maria Cabral - do Rosario Baptisms 1842 - 1852 - 252-  On 5/18/1850, Maria was baptized, b. 5/10/1850, d/o Joze Vicente Alves & Antonia Anna d' Almeida, gods - Francisco Manoel St'Anna & Anna Maria Cabral; 
Anna Maria da Graca Cabral - do Rosario Obits 1890 - 1893, p. 31/60, died on 11/6/1890
Anna Rosa Gomes Cabral - do Rosario Mats - 1885,  9/13, md on 6/9/1895
                                                                        - 1883-9, 51/13


Cabral, Joao M. - Sao Nicolau - b. Immigration 10/19/1917 - Schooner BERTA D. NICKERSON, Sao Vicente to NB, 24 y, single.  

Cabral, Joao Manoel     - Sao Nicolau - Husb of Maria da Piedade Lopes - Father of Manoel Joao
Lopes - do Rosario - Matrimonios - 1874 - 1882 - 65/25 - In 6/1875, Manoel Joao Lopes (s/o Joao Manoel Cabral & Maria da Piedade Lopes) md Anna Margarida Duarte (d/o Antonio da Graca Talho & Margarida Duarte da Conceicao).  The record indicates that they were “both single & legitimate”, w - _______  

Cabral, Joao Manoel     -   Husb of Maria Anna de Brito - Father of- Luiz Joao de Brito
do Rosario - Matrimonios 1883 - 1889 - 19/1 - On 1/12/1884, Luiz Joao de Brito, single  (s/o Joao Manoel Cabral & Maria Anna de Brito) md Constanca Maria Freitas, single (d/o Joao Antonio Lopes Almeida & Maria de Freitas Almeida), witnesses were:   

Cabral, Joaquim Gomes - Husb of Mary Francis Dias Cabral - Father of Joaquim Gomes Cabral - California Marriages:  Listed as the father of Joaquim Gomes Cabral who md Eulalia Araujo Lima in California, 9/17/1921.

Cabral, Josefino Lopes - b - Nantucket Historical Society & book THE OTHER ISLANDERS by Frances Karti. On 7/23/1928, Josefino Lopes Cabral md Maria Gibian Roderiques in Nantucket, Mass.  Guests: Frank Correia, Florence Roderick, Isabella Mendes, Dorothy Burgo, Elizabeth Mendes, Isabella Burgo

Cabral, Joze - Sao Nicolau -     b. around 1842 - Son of Manoel Joao Cabral & ? Eugenia Roza da Silva -  do Rosario - Baptisms 1842 - 1852 - 16/  Joze was baptized in 2/1843, s/o Manoel Joao Cabral (s/o       ) & ? Eugenia Roza da Silva (d/o           ),  gods - Joze Antonio d’ Araujo & Antonia “filha de Nicolao Joao Monteiro. 

Cabral, Joseph - b. 1885 - 1920 Census, NB, 91 S. Second, 35y, boarder w/ Albert & Anna Britto

 
Cabral, Joseph - CV - b. 1897 - 1940 Census, NB, 229 Front St., 43y, single, b. CV, works in cotton mill.

Cabral, Joseph - b. 1907 - 1930 Census, NB, 197 So Second St, 23y, w/ Grace Cabral 54y. 

 
Cabral, Joseph - Truro - Husb of Amelia Lima  - Father of Emily Cabral - Listed on the NB Marriages (1914) of Emily Cabral as her father, & the husb of Amelia Lima.


Cabral, Joe  - CV- b.  THE OTHER ISLANDERS by Francis Karti
 

Cabral, Jose Manuel   Husband  of
                    (1) Barbara Theresa da Conceicao &  (2) Anna Rosa Gomes
                    Son of Manoel Joao Cabral & Eugenia Rosa da Silva
                    ***********  There are two records for this marriage:   Edit for date - June or July?     *****     do Rosario Marriages 1885 -  9/13 - On Junho 9, 1885, Jose Manoel Cabral md Anna Rosa Gomes  do Rosario - Obits - 1883 - 1890 -10/40 - On 5/16/1883, Barbara Theresa da Conceicao died at 45y, w/o Jose Manoel Cabral   do Rosario - Matrimonios 1883 - 1889 -  51/13 - On 7/9/1885, Jose Manoel Cabral, widower of Barbara Theresa da Conceicao, (s/o Manoel Joao Cabral (dec’d) & Eugenia Rosa da Silva) md Anna Rosa Gomes, 17y, (d/o Antonio Nicolau Gomes & Rosa Maria Gomes (dec’d), w - Andre da Silva Ramalho, md & Jose Antonio de Araujo, md. 

Cabral, Jose Manuel - Relative/friend of Manuel Miguel Santos - Listed on the 6/12/1925 ship manifest for Manuel Miguel Santos as the person he wd join at 85 Second St in NB.

Cabral, Jose Martin - CV - b. 1890 - Immigration 4/8/1928 - Lisbon to Prov, Ship = PROVIDENCE, edit for age

Cabral, Manoel  -  Sao Nicolau - Husb of Francesca Paulina  - Father of the decedent - Antonio Manoel Cabral   *****      do Rosario Obits 1890 - 1893  - 124/113 - On 11/20/1893, Antonio Manoel Cabral died at 85y, h/o Eugenia Francisca Almeida, (s/o Manoel Cabral & Francesca Paulina (dec’d)). 

Maria Lopes Cabral  b probably around 1830, Wife of Francisco Gaspar de Almeida      ****** do Rosario Baptisms 1842 - 1852 - 249/ -  On 4/7/1850, Candido was baptized, b. 3/30/1850, s/o Francisco Gaspar Almeida & Maria Lopes Cabral, gods Candido Joao do Rosario & Maria Narcisa Duarte, m/d Nicolau Antonio Duarte.  

1 comment:

  1. Your grandmother does seem quite precious. My grandmother was black, but married a Cape Verdean man in 1920. That is where my Cape Verdean ancestry originates.

    My grandmother made an attempt to become part of the Cape Verdean community. She converted to Catholicisms and worshiped at the OLOA church in New Bedford. At her funeral Father Raphael commented about how she was active in the church and helped to start one of the early choirs in the church.

    Unfortunately, their marriage did not last very long. I think it lasted about four years. My mother has a half-sister who was the same age as my mother. This out of marriage birth pretty much doomed the marriage. However, animosity and mistrust between the Cape Verdean and black community and probably between both families did not help either. In a sense my mother was an interracial child.

    The divorce was probably pretty bitter. My mother tells a story about one of my grandmother's brothers (she had nine of them) nearly tossing my grandfather through the plate glass window at the Kresge store in downtown New Bedford. My great uncle came by on his motorcycle and saw my grandparents in a heated argument. I am told that my grandfather was an amateur boxer, but I guess he did not want any part of my great uncle that day.

    Growing up I never knew much about my CV side. My mother dared not tell us too much about it when we were young for some reason. I grew up in the West End, but I do remember eating jag and Cainja at my grandmother's house. Apparently, my grandmother had learned to cook Cape Verdean dishes while she was married to my grandfather. My grandmother later married a man from Barbodos so she also learned to cook Caribbean dishes.

    My mother did keep in contact with her sister and a number of Cape Verdean relatives who lived in the South End of the city. My mother also attended a fair number of the Cape Verdean events in the city. However, she never took us to visit any of our Cape Verdean relatives.

    I learned who my grandfather was when I was 11 years old. My grandfather passed away and my mother decided she needed to "prep me" in case someone mentioned to me about my grandfather passing away. After that I began more and more to put together the pieces.

    Interestingly, I remember that your grandmother and my grandmother shared a room at St Luke's hospital when they were both recovering from a stroke. I remember that your aunt and cousin would often be visiting at the same time that I would be visiting. My mother and your aunt seemed to know each other well. They were both the outgoing types so I was not really surprised. Your cousin and I were both in college at the time. I think that your aunt and my mom decided about that time that your cousin and I might be a good match. My mother would mention your cousin to me from time to time, but that is as far as it ever went.

    During my high school years I had more Cape Verdean friends and spent more time in the South End. Much of what I know about my grandfather came from my friend's parents who would tell me stories about him.

    As I grew older my mother would tell me more about my Cape Verdean heritage. She would often point out to me people who she thought might be relatives of ours. Ancestry DNA has proven her to be correct on a number of her assertions.

    I wished that my mother had been more truthful about our Cape Verdean side when I was young. However, I have to assume that she had her reasons why she did not tell us. Most of these reasons I still don't know or really understand.

    ReplyDelete