Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Snooks around the table - approx 1948 in New Bedford

 

 
 
 
 
 


I have the name of the man on the far right with the pipe somewhere and will add it.  I also think that the lady center front may be Mrs. Rosario.  The girl at top may be Julia. 
I believe that the photographer was my godfather, Joseph Andrews/Joe Dawson.  My gram is not in the photo but was assuredly there.  

 

Immigrants from the island of Sao Nicolau lovingly called themselves Snooks.  I recently was told in a CV internet site that this word is pejorative but I think that is only when it is spoken by others.  I consulted with older CV's and one said "Noooooo ... we called ourselves that.  We love to refer to ourselves as that". 
Snook must be from the words Sao Nicolau. 
In one census my gram was asked where she was from.  The census taker wrote "Sankla".

No comments:

Post a Comment