Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Criola

Compiler's mother - Nita. 
=======================================================================

Criola
now Kriola

This writer is not certain what this designation denotes.  It may mean that the person was enslaved OR that the person was the child of an enslaved person.  Hence the absence of a surname.  Of course in the US the term was used to designate a person of mixed race & these days CVs proudly call themselves Kriolus.  This designation is rarely seen in the CV records.  Notice though that there is no surname. 

(1)  Jose,   *****     daLObits1871-76,  5/21 On 6/10/1871, Jose died at 8 days, s/o Jusefina, criola. 
(2)  Jusefina, *****     daLObits1871-76,  5/21.  On 6/10/1871, Jose died at 8 days, s/o Jusefina, criola. 

**********************************************************************

10 comments:

  1. Hi Carol
    I do think it happened in 1970, the summer after our high school graduation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely correct!!!! I was a few weeks pregnant and did not have the baby until 4/1971.

      Delete
  2. Hi Carol,
    I do think the incident happened in 1970, the summer after our high school graduation.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol,
    Now that I see your photo from back in the day, I do remember seeing you around. I agree with you that those years were the beginning of the West End and South End youth coming together. Although I grew up in the West End, by the time I got to high school most of my friends were from the South End.

    One interesting tidbit about the fire that the youth helped to put out is that the fire was attributed to the West End youth. However, the West End youth were helping to put out the fire because they believed that the owner of the building set the fire. The fire was too close to the next house where a West End family lived to be considered a target.

    Earlier in the day I had occasion to walk by the building a number of times in the morning. It housed Burns Electric Supply. I noticed that the workers were moving merchandise out of the building into a rental truck the size of a moving van. The truck was pretty full the last time that I passed by about noon.

    Very shortly after I walked by the building the last time, the fire mysteriously broke out in the building. Later I read in the newspaper that the proprietor of the business indicated that he lost everything in the fire. Having seen that they were moving merchandise out of the building before the fire, it does make me tend to think that the West End youth had it correct about how the fire started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Efrain and I remember that day and I was about 17 years old and hanging at the wall then throw back days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. You would have been the same age as my sister Patricia.

      Delete